The Children and Families Act is a new piece of legislation that changes how disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs get support.
The key changes include:
- Giving parents and young people control over decisions about their support.
- The introduction of Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans to replace Statements.
- Personal budgets provided for parents and young people to carry out their plans.
- A requirement on local authorities to provide a Local Offer which will include education, health and care services.
- In Coventry we also want to make sure that needs are met in a way that maximises the strengths and capabilities of families, young people and communities.
From 1st September 2014 until 31st March 2016 Grapevine will:
- help young people in mainstream, special schools, and colleges transfer a statement into an EHC plan
- provide independent support to new entrants to the SEND system at 16 plus
- help them understand the Local Offer
- provide information about personal budgets
If you would like help please contact our team on 024 7663 1040 option 3